How Do I Learn?
The Transcendental Meditation technique is learned in seven easy steps—and includes a lifetime of free follow-up and support
Free introductory talk Hear from an experienced certified teacher how the TM technique will benefit you and how it differs from other practices—get all your questions answered. Find a teacher
The seven-step course Learning the TM technique involves personal instruction with a certified TM instructor and three class meetings, over four consecutive days. Course structure detailed below.
Follow-up and support After you complete the TM course, you'll enjoy a lifetime of accumulative benefits from your twice-daily practice, and there's free guidance and support as needed—for the rest of your life.
Payment plans, grants & scholarships scholarships Reduced rates for groups, full-time students, couples, families, children, and those under financial hardship. Please inquire with your local teacher if you need financial assistance. Course fees
Seven Steps to Learn the TM Technique:
Steps 1-3: Preparing to Learn
Please note: The above two steps are often combined into a one-hour introductory session. Contact your local teacher for details.
- Step 1: Introductory Talk A vision of possibilities through the Transcendental Meditation program—enhancing mental potential, health, and social relationships, and promoting inner and outer peace. (1 hour—no charge)
- Step 2: Preparatory Talk The mechanics of the TM technique—how it works, why it's easy to learn and effortless to practice, how it's different from other forms of meditation, and the technique's origins. (45 minutes—no charge)
- Step 3: Personal Interview A private meeting with a certified TM teacher. (10–15 minutes—no charge)
To find out when the above steps are available in your local area, please click here.
Steps 4-7: Learning the TM technique
Please note: The following steps (4-7) take place over four consecutive days.
- Step 4: Personal Instruction in the TM technique with a certified TM teacher. ( 1–2 hours) (Course fee is required at this step, but you can also pay in installments over time—talk to your local teacher.)
- Steps 5, 6 and 7: Three class meetings, usually in a group To verify correctness of the practice and receive further instruction. (1–2 hours each class)
Lifetime of free follow-up and support
Once you've completed the seven-step TM course, you'll have the intellectual and experiential knowledge to meditate effectively. Next comes a series of important weekly and monthly personal "meditation check-ups" to ensure that you're practicing correctly and enjoying the full benefit. These meetings are scheduled at your convenience over your first several months of practice.
In addition to personal meditation checking, you'll have ongoing access to certified TM instructors to answer questions or discuss your practice.
This support also includes group follow-up meetings or "advanced lectures" to enrich your understanding, group meditations, celebrations, guest speakers and special events. You'll be provided exclusive access to a range of practical resources that provide deeper knowledge and enhance your personal progress, including subscriptions to an online TM magazine and newsletter, and periodic TM refresher courses
As a course graduate, you are eligible for this complimentary lifetime follow-up at any TM center in the United States and many other countries around the world.